Understand & engage with 21st century volunteers
This one-day course will help you explore your vision of volunteering and how to effectively engage with volunteers in the 21st century.
In a changing society understanding modern volunteers and how best to engage with them is vital. Volunteering specialist Rob Jackson explores the social trends impacting on volunteering and how to affect real change with your approach.
This course will help improve your knowledge over two important topics:
In this session you will look at some of the key ways in which society is changing and how these changes affect volunteering. We will discuss what volunteer organisers can do to update their practices to accommodate these changes, enhancing their engagement with and retention of 21st century volunteers. You will also have time to reflect, discuss and plan your activities going forward.
- Understanding and engaging 21st century volunteers – morning
Creating an effective volunteer engagement strategy is rarely a subject that is understood, focused on, or taken seriously by senior managers. In this session you will learn how to influence and help senior leadership gain a new perspective on volunteering and lay the foundation for effective volunteer involvement.
- Influencing to make change happen – afternoon
By the end of the day you will have:
- an understanding of key social trends impacting on volunteering
- explored what can be done to respond to these
- reflected on the changes that might be needed in your organisation
- examined the importance of a clear purpose for involving volunteers across your organisation
- clarified the change you want to see in your organisation and developed an action plan to realise that change
- considered how your personal practice can influence change to create a more positive volunteering culture
Who this course is for
This course is ideal for organisers, leaders and managers of volunteers
Rob Jackson provides consultancy and training in the UK, Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand. He has worked in the volunteering movement for more than two decades, including leading volunteer programmes at local, regional and national levels and working for six years with Volunteering England.
In addition to the training, you will have access to:
- an electronic copy of the slides and associated handouts available as free downloads
- a free online copy of the second edition of the ‘Turn Your Organisation Into a Volunteer Magnet’ eBook
- a discount on subscriptions to e-volunteerism.com, the international online journal of volunteer leadership and management
- a 20% on-the-day only discount on the sale price for Rob Jackson and Susan J Ellis’ book, ‘From The Top Down - UK Edition’
3 October 2018 - Newport YMCA, (NP20 2HF)
Other dates and locations for this course